2006-04-22

Kairos needs your prayer


"'For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me ... Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.'"
(Matthew 25:35, 25; 40b)

This weekend, a group of a dozen or so Christian men are in prison. Don't worry. They want to be there.

They are there on purpose -- and for a purpose. They are part of the Kairos prison ministry, which ... well, let's let them explain it.

(From www.kairoswv.org: "The mission of the Kairos Prison Ministry is to bring Christ's love and forgiveness to all incarcerated individuals, their families and those who work with them, and to assist in the transition of becoming a productive citizen.")

For four nights and three days, Christian men are ministering to inmates -- called "guests" by those involved in the ministry -- at Mount Olive Correctional Complex in Fayette County, West Virginia, and telling them the good news of the gospel of Christ. My involvement with the ministry has been minimal; my father is actively involved, and others I know tell me how powerful this experience is, both for the "team" members (those ministering to the guests) and, most importantly, for the guests themselves.

I should have already posted something on this, but please pray for God's direction and guidance this weekend. Visit the website and see if God calls you to be personally involved. Part of that involvement includes signing up for a prayer vigil -- the entire weekend is literally bathed in prayer; there is someone praying for the guests each half hour for the duration of the weekend. If you are familiar with other "Fourth Day" movements, such as the Walk to Emmaus, you know about this concept. I urge you to pray for the experience.

Speaking of the Walk to Emmaus, the Kanawa Valley Emmaus Community is holding its spring walk for women, and there are slots available on that weekend's prayer vigil as well. You can sign up for a 30-minute block by clicking here. Feel free to sign up for prayer vigils anywhere else, too, all around the world. You can find other prayer vigils here.

And if you are interested in the Walk to Emmaus, and, more specifically, the Kanawha Valley chapter, feel free to visit its website or send me an e-mail. I'd love to introduce you to it -- and I do plan on posting more about it at some point in the next few weeks.

Oh, by the way -- today's cross is from a sidewalk on Dickinson Street, downtown Charleston, West Virginia (where else?) God bless ...

Want to know Christ? Click the link on your right, read Romans 10:9,10 in the Bible or send me an e-mail.

0 comments: