2006-05-29

Wrong place, wrong time





















"Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"
(Luke 12:23-25)

(Hardest piece of advice to follow in the Bible? It has to be up there, yes?)

Check out those photos there. Pretty crazy, huh?


My wife and I were coming back from a short trip to the mountains (Pocahontas County, just outside of Green Bank, for you West Virginians -- check out my photoblog, The Cross Project, for some pictures I took while we were up there). Just south of Minnehaha Springs, two orioles swooped in front of the car.

One made it ... the other didn't -- that's him (or her, as the case may be) in the spokes of my bike.

After my wife nearly jumped out of her seat, we drove on. Road kill is road kill, and hitting an animal with your car while driving through the biggest forest in the most rural state east of the Mississippi isn't that big of a deal.

When we stopped for gas later, there it was -- the bird had bounced from my windshield and into the spokes of my mountain bike.

(I love my digital camera, by the way.)

Here's the thing: twice, on the roughly five-hour drive home, we ran into stopped traffic from two car accidents. Neither looked serious, but both underscored how dangerous something as seemingly trivial as traveling on Memorial Day can be.

God took care of us. He always does.

That scripture? Man, it's tough to follow, tough to take to heart. But God loves us immensely, and never fails to keep watch over us, much more than than the birds of the air, beautiful though they are.

And if He'll keep us safe on the road, what right do we have to worry about anything else?


Want to know Jesus? Click on this link, read Romans 10:9,10 and/or send me an e-mail to Ephesians514@gmail.com.

(copyright andrew j. beckner, 2006)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are truly out-spoke-n!