2006-05-01

The calm in the storm ...


Today, I want to tell you about my good friend Jack Cummings.

You know, the things we do for God can have such an impact on others' lives in ways we may never intend. That picture at your left? That's a drawing Jack did several months ago ... beautiful, isn't it?

See, Jack draws cartoons ... very funny, very good cartoons that are, more importantly, inspiring. (You can visit his website by clicking here. I also link to his website on the list on the right.)

Now, that's not the first activity that comes to mind when we think of working for God, but that's exactly what Jack is doing. He's letting his talent shine for God, and He is getting the glory by doing magnificient works, through His people, by using Jack's divinely-inspired ability.

Like what? Glad you asked.

Remember, Jack drew this particular picture months ago -- every day, he sends out a new cartoon; one day out of the week he draws an artistic representation of a piece of scripture -- and I decided that, as part of a series of on the life of Christ I'm about to post, I'd use the picture. So, I perused my old e-mails and, after looking around for awhile, found it.

Then, this morning, I woke to dark clouds, heavy winds and tossing waves.

Ever felt that way? Even those closes to Jesus -- His hand-picked disciples -- did, and my spiritual walk with Christ is nowhere near the equivalent of walking with Him, in person, every day. (Of course, we can all have that close a relationship if we try ... but that's a subject for another day.)

So, there they are, in a boat in the Sea of Galilee, and, boy, is it storming. The Bible doesn't say how bad it was, but it was bad enough that Peter and the boys were sweating bullets -- and, remember, these were fishermen. They'd seen their fair share of storms. We know it was bad enough that they woke Jesus (yeah, He was real worried, huh?) and said, "Hey, you gonna let us die here?"

You know the rest of the story. Jesus, basically, told the wind to take a hike, told the seas to knock it off ... almost, as if, He said "Who do you think you are, trying to sink this ship? I made you. Back off."

And it did, prompting the disciples to say, "What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the seas obey Him?"

My job was really tough this morning. And there are all kinds of things going on outside of it as well ... I won't go into it. I'm sure you all have your own problems, too, and don't need burdened by mine (I could always use a prayer, if you'd like).

The bottom line is that I'm feeling a little down this morning -- and there's this picture of my Master, calming the waves.

Sure, I feel like running beneath deck and screaming, "Jesus! Don't you care that I'm stressed? Don't you care when the waves of my life are threatening me? Don't you care that I'm down today, that I'm feeling sorry for myself? Don't you care?"

Of course He does ... and a "cartoon" from a friend reminded me of that this morning.

Thank you, Jesus ... and thank you, Jack.

Want to know the One whom even the wind and the seas obey? Click on the link "How do I become a Christian?," read Romans 10:9,10 or send me an e-mail.


0 comments: